Monday 6 December 2010

Can other albums help me choose an idea towards my digi pack ?? (front cover)

First I wanted to look an front covers of an album as the front cover provides the main attraction for the audience, if this does not stand out then the interest rate will not live up to its name and expectations so the sides and back covers will be ignored straight away.

To cut things down I linked my genre of music with other yet again, looking through the grime trance with the song tenderoni and wider resources as grime trance is not popular due to mainstream (look at marketing sectors in my blog) bloc party / indie I found these;

CHASE AND STATUS - MORE THAN THIS
I like the font for a start, big bold cover the whole section and the use of splattered colour indicates a source of mainstream.
The colours make it look club with the contrast of pink - light and loud - and black - nighttime / nightclubs.

I also like how the main artist faces are on the bottom and the use of the black colours have been used again for dramatic effect, it almost like a pop art effect.

The bands name stands out as it is layered across the top and has a white outline so If I'm using a white background this may come in handy.

The only problem is for this is that the font comes along to mainstream, it more targeted towards pop, but however by making the font look more negative; take out bit from the text and make it kind of an graffiti affect.



This is example two:

DJ FRESH - KRYPTONITE
This has a brilliant bond with my genre and style.
Dj fresh is not that mainstream which bonds well towards the standard working class of a non a lister such as Katy perry, eminem, rihanna etc.
I love the editing on the skull you can see it professional in the methods of bits being cut out and the detailed in the outlines with the tone and the black and white brings out the shading. It shows a mysterious side but the skulls represents a negative criteria e.g. death, crime, hazards.
But the skulls links well to conscience and also emotions, what I could do hear is not use the skulls but use my main artists (me) but by using photo shop cut out parts of my features such as eyes or mouth and use like the background that he has used.

The only problem with this background is that it's more than three colour, but that's easy to take care off by just keeping a pattern or some sort. But I want to adapt so it my own unique image so maybe the use of graffiti out of my mouth can describe trance but then have blood coming out my eyes to describe a negative side to the story, so that trance can be negative as my music video comes across negative and dark.

Last but not least I like how the name of artist is simple and placed out of the way it hidden kind of so that the audience gets a full profile upon the image which is what I'm looking for.

I will take this example after my draft work into high consideration.

And a final example
( I didn't want to too much as too much can be over flown with ideas).

PENDULUM - HOLD YOUR COLOUR
:
I love this front cover, simply because its powerful in terms of energy and he colour scheme.
The way the eyes is formed and placed is brilliant as it shows a kind of monster type of effect and make me think what the hell is this and the audience gets a gist of they don't no what to expect of the album as the cover expresses this, completely of the rails and unique.
The graffiti adapting from the eyes is shows in full use as the eyes is clear and absorbs and draws the audience in, the graffiti brings out the quality and effort that the artist have put in and and is not just an everyday cover.
Now the only problem with this is that I don't have the professional equipment / programme and school. But the picture that you saw in my draft work was a kind of example, unfortunately on photo shop it still did not require the right tool to compete with this.

But from this I will take the eye and the style of graffiti and could adapt upon example two.

And last but not least I love the font white and black background easy to read and see and I like the use of 'hold your colour' being in a white background anyway.

I have now learnt to keep fonts simple and well structured from all examples.
Keep the picture big and impactive with detailed background covering 3 thirds.
If taking a photo of the artist well placed shot and blends in with the 3 colour scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weather conditions for filming;

Filming on 27th October 16:00 - 18:30 29th October 16:00 - 18:00 30th October 14:00 - 18:00